1st November to 31st March - open daily 10:30-16:00
1st April to 31st October - open daily 10:00-1700
(last admission is one hour before closing)
Take junction 11 off the M27. Take the
exit sign posted for Gosport and Fareham. Stay in the left-hand
lane, this will take you down a slip road to a roundabout. Do not
go straight on.Landmark: You will notice a railway viaduct on your
left. At this roundabout take the first left. Signed A27 Portchester.
Landmark: Delme Arms Public House on left.
Stay in the left-hand lane. Go through the first set of traffic
lights. At the second set take a left-hand turn into Down End Road.
Follow the road up and around for approximately ½ mile.
Fort Nelson will appear on your left-hand side. Public parking is
opposite the Fort.
- Free parking and panoramic views
- Free guided tours
- Facilities and dedicated parking for visitors with disabilities
- Hand-held state-of-the-art audio tour
- Video programmes explaining the Fort and the guns
- Evening visits by arrangement
- Fort Nelson is licensed for civil marriages, trade promotions,
seminars, - corporate and business functions.
Fort Nelson Library
The library at Fort Nelson collects material on the history and
development of artillery and fortification, and includes special
collections of early books, handbooks, and drill manuals.
There is also a small reference collection of books and pamphlets
on arms and armour.
The library is open by appointment only from
10.00 am - 12.00 and from 14.00 - 16.00, Monday to Friday, and offers
a limited enquiry service, some picture research facilities (for
artillery material only), and a photocopying service.
Education Visit Facilities Include
- free admisssion for children under 16 years
- on-site classroom for pre-booked groups
- free teacher packs and pupil worksheets
- loan equipment for maths, science and enviromental studies
- free coach parking within the Fort for educational groups
- secure storage for coats and bags
- toilets, including wheelchair accessible
- cafe, picnic areas and indoor packed lunch space
- shops with gifts at pocket money prices